Hands downs, toners are the most important part of my skincare routine. They're so simple and make such a huge impact. There's a lot of information out there telling you why toners are great, however, though the perks are plenty...I like to narrow it down to these top three reasons:
1) Exfoliate: If you apply your toner with a cotton pad (which I always do) you can gently exfoliate and remove any remaining makeup, dead skin and cleanser off your face. This makes my skin feel super clean and there's something gratifying about seeing what came off.
2) pH Balance: Next I give my face a few mists (with the same toner or a different one) to dampen the skin again. The ingredients in natural toners, like the ones above, also help to pH Balance your skin. pH levels are an indication of how much acidity is in your skin and are measured on a scale of 0-14 with 7 being neutral. A balanced skin means less oiliness and breakouts and a healthier complexion. If for whatever reason I skip the toner step for a while...my skin starts to look really dull.
3) Absorb and Seal: Now that my skin is balanced and moist again- this is the perfect time to put on my serum and moisturizer, spf, etc. Damp skin soaks up the products and helps the ingredients absorb deeper into your skin. I finish my routine with another spritz or two to "seal" it all in.
These are my three top reasons why toners are a must have in any skincare routine and also explains why I have so many- I go through them fast.
Here's a breakdown of the ones shown above:
1) Eminence Rosehip Tonique: Rosehip is great for soothing redness and inflammation. This one smells fresh and for those who don't mind...contains Salicylic acid to prevent breakouts. I usually reach for this one after using a heavier exfoliator like my Macro E to calm my skin.
2) John Masters Organics Bearberry Oily Skin Balancing and Toning Mist: This one is the most simple of the 5. It's the least fragrant and is my go to for a midday mist. It feels the "lightest" and leaves my skin feeling refreshed- really great for oily skin.
3) Evan Healy: I love both my Evan Healy HydroSoul's and would say that they're the "strongest" of all my toners. A few sprays and your skin is enveloped with either the heavenly scent of Lemon and Thyme or Immortelle- and the scent lasts all day. I know this because my husband hates the Immortelle one and says he can smell it even 10 hours after using it.
4) Kahina Toning Mist: Kahina is a perfect balance between the John Masters Organics and Evan Healy. It has a nice soothing scent, you can feel it on your skin after using it, but it doesn't feel as "rich" as the Evan Healy. The Toning Mist leaves my skin the most moisturized out of all of them, so for those who have drier skin, this might be what you've been looking for.
How do you use your toner and any new recommendations? I'm always on the hunt!