Both products claim to do the same thing using the muslin cloth cleansing technique, so let's get to the nitty gritty and compare them side by side– minus the marketing.
Winner: Josie Maran
Josie Maran: Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit, Beeswax, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Glyceryl Dibehenate, Tribehenin, Glyceryl Behenate, Tocopherol, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Lavendula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Parfum (Fragrance), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil.
Eve Lom: Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil), Peg-30 Lanolin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Aluminum Stearate, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Peg-75 Lanolin, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Eugenia Caryophyllus (Clove) Leaf Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Cone Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Bht, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben.
Winner: Josie Maran (Eve Lom's first ingredient is Mineral Oil- break out city)
- Consistency: thick/ dense and easy to smooth all over face.
- Smell: bland, musky
- Exfoliate: the cleanser is really emollient so the muslin cloth glides easily over the skin as you exfoliate
- Cleanse: after wiping my skin with the cloth several times, I still felt a very thin film of argan oil on my face. All of my makeup was totally gone (even waterproof mascara).
- Results: Skin is glowing, toned, moisturized and refined after use.
- Next morning: My skin was still glowing and felt healthy and balanced.
- Consistency: very "oily" and easy to spread across face.
- Smell: clover, earthy, wonderfully yummy
- Exfoliate: the oil dissolves very quickly. After pressing the hot cloth on my skin a few times (as directed), almost all of the oil was gone. This made it difficult to "exfoliate" afterwards because it felt like I was rubbing on skin without any product.
- Cleaner: there was no slickness or residue left on skin after cleansing. All of the oil dissolved and makeup gone (including waterproof mascara).
- Result: skin was dewy and toned but did not feel moisturized.
- Next morning: My skin looked bumpy, dull and one or two tiny white heads popped up.
Winner: Josie Maran
As you can see, the clear winner is Josie. My husband made a great point- if it's almost twice as much, it better be almost twice as amazing. The Eve Lom was certainly not. I also find it strange that such an expensive, high-end product contained Mineral Oil as it's first ingredients. There's a lot of controversy about Mineral Oil because it's a widely used ingredient in our skincare and makeup (some say it causes breakouts others disagree). In my case, it definitely caused me to break out. Please also note that I didn't change anything else in my routine (same toner, essence, moisturizer, diet, etc). The Eve Lom simply wasn't as effective– my skin was not happy, nor was my wallet. I am, however, OBSESSED with the Josie Maran version. After several weeks of trying the Eve Lom Cleanser I switched back to Josie and my skin immediately thanked me (calmed the redness and inflammation in my new pimples, pores tighter and skin glowing again).
Don't even hesitate...if you're looking for a cleanser that uses the "Muslin Cloth" technique (which is amazing) go with the Josie Maran version. At $48, you can't lose.
More questions....leave a comment below!